Why Should You Shred Your Documents?
Employees can sometimes underestimate what needs to be shredded, and maximum fines for improper disposal have increased from $25,000 to $1,500,000 as of May 2010. The State's Attorney General is now the enforcement entity for HIPPA, and is actively pursuing the fines associated with violations. The links below detail the new laws, fines, and procedures for document destruction and information protection.
- FACTA Disposal Rule [PDF]
- HIPAA- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
- Federal Privacy Act of 1974
- Watch a video from NAID about their employee training program.
- Sometimes, employees underestimate the amount of files and documents that should be destroyed. Every document or piece of paper could be considered patient, customer, or employee information.
- Many businesses have a misconception about the costs associated with shredding. Shredding will save time and money, as well as provide security. If a medical office utilized an office shredder for destroying everything it could be found liable for, the time that employees would spend shredding would hinder them from completing their daily tasks.
- The cost of using a shred service is not high. Recent focus groups showed that medical office managers estimated the cost of destruction service to be $150 to $200 per month, when in reality, it is far less. Our service starts at $35.00 and is subject to lower rates depending on the frequency of service.
- You can maximize employee productivity by allowing them to focus on their daily tasks instead of shredding.
- You no longer have to pay $50 to $200 for office shredders that last only a few months.
- We will come to your location, so you do not have to travel to properly dispose of your documents.
- Our convenient and secure bins make sorting and disposal very easy.
Help Conserve Natural Resources:
Central Texas Secure Shredding recycles 100% of the paper we shred. For every 2,000 lbs of paper recycled you save:
- 17 trees
- 7000 gallons of water
- 50 pounds of air pollution
- 4000 kilowatts of electricity
- 3 cubic yards of land fill
- Central Texas Secure Shredding provides heavy-duty, lockable security containers for routine customers.
- We employ Certified Secure Destruction Specialists (CSDS).
- We can write your information protection policies and procedures guideline for free.
- We offer flexible pick-ups during business hours (M-F).
- We accept drop-off service for customers who want to witness the destruction process.
- Clean out and purge services for one-time and periodic needs.
- Central Texas Secure Shredding provides Certificates of Destruction.
- Central Texas Secure Shredding is fully bonded and insured.
- For our annual and semi annual customers, we will provide a “resources conserved” certificate detailing the environmental resources saved through recycling.
- After each year of service, we provide a certificate detailing the amount of paper that particular customer has recycled through our services.
- The certificate details the amount of trees, gallons of water, pounds of air pollution, kilowatts of electricity, and landfill space that the customer has saved by recycling their documents.
- If you would like a more frequent update on the resources you are currently saving through our service, please submit that request in the contact form on our website.